G4 Visas for Diplomats

Any individual who is recognized as a diplomat by the US Secretary of State is eligible for a G4 visa.

  1. Eligibility:
    • Principals: Officers and employees of international organizations qualify for G-4 visas.
    • Dependents: Immediate family members (spouses and unmarried children under 21) of G-4 visa holders can also apply.
  2. Purpose:
    • G-4 visas allow entry to the United States for specific work-related purposes within international organizations.
  3. Travel Restrictions:
    • G-4 visa holders engage in official activities related to their organization.
    • Personal travel unrelated to their work is not permitted on G-4 visas.

When working with a G-4 visa, there are some important limitations to keep in mind:

  1. Employment Restrictions:
    • Authorized Employment: G-4 visa holders are authorized to work only for the international organization that sponsored their visa.
    • No Outside Employment: They cannot take up employment outside of their organization or engage in any other paid work within the U.S.
  2. Dependent Employment:
    • Spouses: Dependents (spouses) of G-4 visa holders are eligible for employment authorization.
    • Children: Children (under 21) are not allowed to work on G-4 visas.
  1. Change of Status:
    • G-4 visa holders cannot change their status to other non-immigrant categories (such as H-1B or L-1) while in the U.S.
  1. Duration of Stay:
    • G-4 visas are valid only as long as the principal visa holder remains employed by the international organization.
    • If employment ends, the visa holder and their dependents must leave the U.S.

The visa expires on the last day of the staff member’s service with the World Bank Group and are not valid for travel, regardless of the date stamped on the G4 visa or I-94. The U.S. provides a 30-day grace period for G4/G1 visa holders to leave the U.S. or change to another valid non-immigrant visa.

Dependents of G-4 visa holders who seek employment in other international organizations may either become a principal staff member in that institution or work under valid work authorization as a G-4 dependent. Dependents who take on full-time employment at an embassy will need to change from G to A status.

Explore More on:

Certain G-4 or NATO-6 Employees and their Family Members

About G-4 visa – The World Bank

Complete guide to G-4 visa