Getting married in the US? The K Visa may be for you

K visas are divided into four groups. They are K-1 visa, K-2 visa, K-3 visa, and K-4 visa.

  • K-1 visa is for fiancés.
  • K-2 visa is for children or stepchildren of K-1 non-immigrants (spouses).
  • K-3 visa is for fiancés whose spouse is presently overseas but is still a US citizen.
  • K-4 visa is for children or stepchildren of K-3 non-immigrants (spouses).

The K-1 visa permits the foreign fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival.

The K-2 Visa allows children of the fiancé(e) visa holder to travel to the U.S. before their parent’s marriage. It is a non-immigrant and derivative visa, meaning that it does not grant the children an immigration status nor can they obtain one based on this visa alone. A child will need to adjust their status after their parent has married their fiancée, but children who are 17 years old or younger can remain in the United States with parental consent for up to 30 days after arrival.

The K3 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows the spouse of a U.S. citizen, who is residing in a foreign country, to move to the United States while waiting to complete the permanent resident process. It is specifically applicable to legally married couples where one spouse is a U.S. citizen and the other is from a foreign country.

The K4 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows the children of a K-3 spouse visa holder to enter the U.S. and await the availability of an immigrant visa. To qualify for a K-4 visa, you must be:

  • Less than 21 years old
  • The unmarried child of a K-3 applicant
  • Seeking to immigrate to the U.S.

Advantage of K visa: The K-1 visa allows a foreign fiancé admission to the U.S., provided they marry within 90 days after official classification. While the K-1 is classified as a non-immigrant visa, it is an inroad to permanent residency in the U.S.

A foreign fiancé visa holder can apply to be a legal permanent resident and acquire a marriage green card after marrying their U.S. citizen spouse. This makes it the standard option for a U.S. citizen looking to bring their foreign spouse to the U.S.

Explore more on:

K-1 visa benefits

Non-immigrant Visa for a Fiancé

K visa Overview